A Very Merry Unbirthday to You

Remember the tea party in Disney's animated Alice in Wonderland where the Mad Hatter and the March Hare celebrate an unbirthday singing "a very merry unbirthday to you . . . ?  I think as they are celebrating, there is a lot more sanity in this concept than one might first perceive.

From the time we are very young we learn how to function within the constraints of schedules and deadlines.  We learn how to set goals and life becomes a series of minor events leading up to major ones.

We move from event to event like the white rabbit, concerned about whether we will make it in time.  We run frantically from one event to the next stressed about what still needs to be done and worried that we are running out of time.

We become so focused on these major events that sometimes the day-to-day process of living is overlooked.  This is when, to some people, it may appear odd that the Mad Hatter is celebrating an "unbirthday" when society tells us he should be celebrating the main event or real birthday.

Perhaps it's time to make a conscious effort to start celebrating the unbirthdays.  It is time to pay more attention to the people in our lives as well as all of the little things that often get overlooked in our rush to be doing something else.  I think it is time to celebrate all of those magical moments that happen in life when we are often too busy or too tired to notice.

This doesn't mean we completely ignore the major events in our lives, it just means we focus more on right now.

Ask yourself these questions:

Am I happy?
Am I spending my time doing things that will make me happy?
Will it make others happy?
Am I making a difference in someone's life?
If this were my very last minute on earth, did I spend it well?
How will others remember me?

Remember, tomorrow never really comes.  It is what we do today - right this very minute that matters the most.

I think the following quotes are useful:
 "The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present." ~Author Unknown
"Forever is composed of nows."  ~Emily Dickinson 
"We are always getting ready to live but never living." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
"If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is."  ~Author Unknown
"When I am anxious it is because I am living in the future.  When I am depressed it is because I am living in the past."  ~Author Unknown 
"Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized." ~Leo Buscaglia 
"One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living.  We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon - instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today."  ~Dale Carnegie 
"What you are is what you have been. What you'll be is what you do now."
~Buddha 
"Write in your heart that every day is the best day of the year."~Ralph Waldo Emerson 
"Yesterday is a canceled check; tomorrow is a promissory note; today is the only cash you have – so spend it wisely." ~Kay Lyons  
"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."~Maria Robinson
 
I'm going to the unbirthday party.  I hope you will join me in celebrating all of life's moments and not be like the white rabbit who is too busy to even notice.

Disney's Alice in Wonderland - You Tube Videos




Popular Posts