Every Day Should Be Mother's Day

Everyone seems to be rushing at the last minute buying Mother’s Day gifts. Many mothers live far away from their children and grandchildren so families end up ordering flowers because there is not enough time for anything else to be delivered.

I’ve always thought that Mother’s Day is an awkward celebration.

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying we shouldn’t celebrate Mother’s Day. I just question why we don’t celebrate our moms every day. Seriously, does a bouquet of roses or a box of chocolates once a year really show our full appreciation? Where would we be without mom?

When I was a child I remember making Mother’s Day a big deal. We always made special gifts at school. You know the ones – the painted pasta necklaces and the plaster hand molds spray painted gold. When we presented our gifts to mom she always treated them as treasures and she praised our work as she enthusiastically hung multiple yarn necklaces around her neck.

We attended church as a family and every Mother’s Day we gave mom an orchid corsage. In church the moms were given a flower or a small plant. It was Mother’s Day, the day to pause and appreciate mom.

Now that I am a mom I more fully understand all of the sacrifices my mom made for her children. I don’t think that a last minute order of flowers for Mother’s Day or a gift card for the bookstore will ever adequately express my appreciation for her.

One day is not enough to honor all of the moms who are unselfishly sacrificing their time to make a difference in their children’s lives.

I honor you mom on Mother’s Day and every day in between.

Visit the archives on Make Time For Chocolate:  A Tribute to Mom and Dad for a really fun video.

“You don’t really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around – and why his parents will always wave back.”

Popular Posts